Ever since I decided to dedicate myself to an all-plant-based diet I started collecting original vegan recipes, but I also began experimenting in the kitchen and tweaking ingredients to make dishes my own. As my collection grows, I hope to share these yummy ideas with all of you. This quinoa salad was one of the first things I successfully created and I’ve made it ever since. It’s simple, super-packed with vitamins, nutrients and anti-oxidants, easy to make, easy to store and can even be served to your carnivorous friends (perhaps as a side dish), whom I believe will chow it down with great delight!
Here is what you need:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 of an avocado, diced
- 1/4 of a large red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 medium tomato, diced
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup of cucumber, diced
- handful of raisins, goji berries or dried cranberries (optional)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 lime or lemon
- Dash of salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of water
- Bring quinoa and 2 cups water a saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, chop and dice your vegetables on a wooden board.
- Transfer the veggies to a big bowl (enough to hold the veggies and quinoa) and add salt, pepper ,olive oil, lime juice, and dried berries. Cover and set aside.
- Remove quinoa from heat and fluff with a fork. Set aside and allow to cool (about 20 minutes)
- Add the cooled quinoa to the mixture in the bowl and lightly toss
- Cover and refrigerate,
- Allow the salad to cool for approximately one hour and serve as a main dish on its own, or a side dish with goodies such as baked tofu or grilled tempeh. YUM!!!