I’ll make this simple, short and sweet. GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms) are bad. Research has shown GMO products are dangerous to our health. The unpretty results have created much controversy and debate regarding the actual dangers. Food companies and agencies are defending their modification process as “genius technology”, while some researchers are saying that GMOs are the single biggest threat to human health. I’ll side with the researchers. Plus, in my experience, anything that doesn’t beat to the tune of nature is usually harmful in one way or another. I also don’t like the idea of my tomato looking and tasting like plastic.
In our savvy tech world, food has become the main experiment. Avoid being a guinea-pig by choosing to buy ORGANIC, especially when buying these top 10 GM foods:
1) Soy – Yes tofu, is healthy. Yes, soy milk is good for you. But beware, and make sure your products contain soybeans which are organic.
2) Corn – Corn is rich in its taste and in its historical recipe uses. We love corn but it’s better to love organic corn.
3) Tomatoes – Basically the poster image for GMO foods, tomatoes were one of the first products to be modified. Let’s take back our tomatoes. Take them back to real.
4) Papayas – GMO papayas are banned from the European Union, yet marked safe for consumption in North America. If you can can find an organic papaya, you’re lucky there are not many out there!
5) Potatoes – Delicious and filling, but only if they’re not killing. Studies have shown adverse effects on mice consuming genetically modified potatoes. Steer clear and once again, purchase organic.
6) Cotton – For food purposes, the emphasis is on cottonseed oil. Avoid the regular versions and watch out for it as an ingredient in many dressings, baked goods and snack foods.
7) Sugar Beets – Watch your sweet tooth. When it comes to sugar beware and be smart, choose sugar alternatives or buy organic.
8) Canola – Often over-processed and altered for pesticide resistance, canola is another typical ingredient in many foods. Avoid it by reading the labels.
9) Salmon (for all the non-vegans out there!) – GMO salmon was called “monster fish” by some European fishermen, and for good reason. It can survive during any season and grow to full size twice as fast. Fishy business..
10) Zucchini– I love this green cucumber-looking vegetable! It goes so well with so many foods, and it can be used in an variety of recipes! It’s also really good for you…when organic.
Be safe, eat an assortment, and opt for organic, especially when purchasing the products on this list. Value your health and if required, shell out the extra dollar. Most importantly say “NO!” to GMOs!
Happy GREEN Grocery Shopping!!! 🙂